Beef lok lak is a renowned Khmer dish that has gained popularity among tourists visiting Cambodia. While the exact origins of beef lok lak in Cambodia remain uncertain, it is believed that this dish emerged from Vietnam during the French colonial period, making it relatively newer compared to the traditional fish amok recipe.
“Lok lak,” which translates to “shaked beef”(Vietnamese: bò lúc lắc), drawing an analogy to the cook’s skillful manipulation of his wok to ensure that all sides of the sliced beef are perfectly cooked.
It is a simple but still elegant preparation that showcases the delicate balance of sweet, sour, and savory flavors.
Kampot pepper, is preferred for its fragrance but regular black pepper can be used in this recipe as well. Rib eye or sirloin can be used instead of tenderloin.
Several variations of beef lok lok recipes can be found, using tomatoes or not. The Vietnamese version of beef lok lak used beef cut as dices instead of stripes.
Beef Lok Lak Recipe Ingredients: a Delicate Balance of Sour, Spicy, and Salty Flavors
- 200 gr of beef tenderloin
- Marinated sauce made of:
1 tbsp of light soya sauce2 tbsp of oyster sauce1 ½ tsp tomato sauce1 tsp sugar1 tsp ground black pepper1tsp fish sauce2 glove garlic (chopped)2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tomato sliced
½ onion slice
3 pcs lettuce leaf
Dipping sauce made of:1 lime juice2 tsp of ground black pepper1 tsp salt1 tbsp of water
Beef Lok Lak Recipe | Simple Cooking Instructions
Beef lok lak is a quite straighforwarding recipe. One of the key element is to marinated the beef and using a wok to sear the meat.
- Slice the beef into thin stripes
- Prepare first the marinated sauce by adding in a bowl soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, black pepper, and minced garlic. Mix well
- Add the beef slices to the sauce and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes
- Heat a large wok over high heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the marinated beef and moving aound the wok energetically, sear the beef for about 1-2 minutes per side, until it is cooked to your desired level of doneness (rare, medium, well done).
- Remove the beef from the pan and set it aside.
- Using the same wok. add the thinly sliced onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until they become translucent and slightly caramelized.
- Prepare the lime pepper dipping sauce by mixing a small container freshly ground black pepper, salt and fresh lime juice.
5. Decorate the two plate with lettuce, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers and spread the cooked beef evenly.
Beef Lok Lak Recipe FAQ’s
What is beef lok lak?
Beef Lok Lak is a popular Cambodian dish that consists of sliced beef stir-fried with onions, garlic, and other seasonings. The dish is typically served over a bed of lettuce, cucumber, and tomatoes, and accompanied by a side of steamed rice and a dipping sauce. The beef is usually marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, oyster sauce, lime juice, and other spices to enhance its flavor.
What does beef lok lak taste like?
The taste of Beef Lok Lak can be described as a combination of savory, tangy, and slightly sweet flavors. The lime pepper dipping sauce add a spicy kick to it.